Saturday, January 16, 2016

Last long run before Wine and Dine - October 26th, 2014

10/25: 

So it turns out running the day after my 14 mile run was not such a good idea. My left knee was really sore during and after my 3 mile run Monday night. I iced it and took ibuprofen afterwards and rested on Tuesday. Only swam Wednesday night to loosen and stretch, which helped because by Thursday it was feeling better. I did a little over 6 miles in 60 min on Thursday, and it started getting sore about 4.5 miles in, but otherwise the run felt pretty good considering it's been a little while and my knee still wasn't 100%. I did take a closer look at my running sneakers and noticed my left shoe is unevenly worn. That could be a sign that I'm doing something I shouldn't be with my left foot. Looks like I'll be breaking in my new running sneakers before the half marathon, I only wish they were broken in already so I could wear them for my 15 mile run on Sunday. I swam this morning and felt pretty good. Really focused on pulling with my triceps to try to fix whatever is going wrong with my stroke. I'm still not going to try to use paddles yet though, don't want to do anything that could injure my shoulder if I don't have to. Pullen should be opening back up this week so back to the Tue/Thu/Sat practices for me, when I can. Unfortunately I seem to have a lot of evenings coming up in the next two weeks. I may leave work on a couple of nights to go to practice if the weather cooperates. I've really been trying to figure out my training from now until the Myrtle Beach Marathon, which is tricky since the IM training starts in the middle of that, but I think I may have it mostly figured out if I can get my work schedule to cooperate. The only thing I'm not really confident of is the mileage and how the increasing and decreasing will work. Some plans don't follow the 10% rule, and that makes me nervous, but I'll just try it and modify it if and when that's necessary.

10/26:

Today was my 15 mile run day, which turned into 14.25 miles instead. I had a hard time keeping my HR in Z2. Not sure if that's due to the hand-held hydration, the warmer temps, the strength training from earlier in the week, or a combination of all of them. It was definitely not as enjoyable as last week's 14 mile run, even though my pace was similar. I'll be glad for a break in the mileage next week as a mini taper before the Wine and Dine half marathon on the 8th. My legs are pretty tired and sore. I really hope they get acclimated to the distance since the long runs are going to keep getting longer from here. I did do a lot more hill work today though, which combined with the HR regulation issues probably made the run feel worse than it would have otherwise. Tomorrow will be a rest day, then Tuesday I'll do a light sort run and possibly swim if the weather is nice and I can leave work for a couple hours. That may become a somewhat regular thing once Ironman training starts, especially since morning practices during evening shifts will be rough. I may even try to swap for more days than evenings at work if that helps me fit all the training in.




No comments:

Post a Comment