Saturday, January 16, 2016

Joining the nOg Run Club, sports physical, Cycle For Hope - 10/13-18/14

I didn't do 14 miles on Monday, but Chris and I did join the nOg Run Club. I ran 5 miles with the club, which was okay, but definitely different running downtown. It will be good preparation for the Raleigh 70.3 and add a change of scenery, in addition to helping keep Chris motivated for his upcoming races. I still may try to get him cycling some so I can have some company.

I had my physical on Tuesday, first full-on physical in a very long time. I figured it was a good idea to have one before starting my Ironman training. They didn't do an EKG or anything heart related, but the Dr did listen to my heart and breathing, checked reflexes and strength, then had blood drawn. Oh, and I got a tetanus shot too. That SOB hurt for like 1.5 days and I didn't even tense my arm. Guess that's pretty common though, dammit. The lab took two vials of blood and they'll do a slew of tests on it, including kidney, thyroid, liver function, blood counts, diabetes, cholesterol, etc. Hopefully I'll get the results in a week or two and, fingers crossed, everything comes back okay. My HR was also in the low 50s, not resting as I was moving around before they took it, and a BP of 98 over 60, which is also pretty low. Interesting stuff!

I started to look into some coaching options this week as well. I emailed Marty Gaal about coaching to see what the price point is and what it would all include. It's a bit higher than I think I can swing right now, but I'll have to think about it a bit. I also came across another local option, Susan Kitchen, who I realized worked with Cindy on nutrition when she was straining for her Ironman. I haven't contacted her, but I made a note that she's an option. I just have a feeling that if I don't have someone besides myself to be accountable to, then I'm going to have a lot harder time sticking to my training plan. Not to mention the role working a rotating shift plays on training. Hopefully I'll be able to make a decision soon. I like the Gaal's though, and they seem to get a lot of positive feedback from their athletes. John speaks highly of them too, which helps. Maybe I'll just have John be my coach and have him make sure I'm doing my training and not slacking off.

I did the Cycle for Hope ride this morning. I had about 6 hrs of sleep and was up at 6:15 am after working until 11 pm last night. Overall the ride went really well. did the half metric, which ended up being about 36 miles. I averaged about 14.5 mph overall, although that is low because of all the stopping and lights. There were some hills that made my leg muscles burn, but it went okay otherwise. I didn't have any major mechanical issues, although I did have to dislodge my chain toward the very end of the ride, but that only took like 20 seconds or so. They had lunch for us all afterward, so I enjoyed some of that before heading home to shower and relax before work. I still have to run 14 miles tomorrow, so that will be interesting. My neck is a bit sore tonight too, but hopefully that will be less of a problem the more I ride.

Cycle for Hope Map and Data:



No comments:

Post a Comment