Thursday, October 22, 2015

This is where I started thinking about (and buying) some of the things I would need during training.

I'll have to try to find my training plan from the half marathon (I think it was Galloway's plan from runDisney) and paste some of that in here, but until then...

8/31/14:

I was scheduled to do a 10 mile run yesterday, based on my marathon training plan. I did 9 miles, so I've almost got it. I could have gone 10, but holding in my bathroom needs wasn't going to last another mile. I'll just be one mile behind on my long runs, but should still be up to 15 miles by the half marathon (Wine and Dine in Disney). It was hot and humid since I had to start after my day shift ended at 4 pm. Little to no sweat evaporation took place, so I was drenched by the end. I tried drinking water during the run, stopping at the drinking fountain at Lake Johnson, twice. I can't tell if this helped a whole lot yet, but immediately after drinking it was a bit tough. I still felt really thirsty after 6-7 miles, so I will probably be getting a water belt to hydrate a bit better along the way. I drank some Powerade when I finished, yuck! Powerade is way too syrupy, but may make for a good slushy if I could get that consistency. I will have to try a few different things to replace electrolytes and salt during and after the long runs because Powerade is definitely not gonna work. My body was definitely a bit sore after, as we went to a party as a coworkers hours after. Both sitting at the table and standing were not all that comfortable. The couch was great though! I was pretty ravenous by the time we got there, and the hamburger with katsup, mustard, and pickles withe a side of chips really hit the spot. I drank two bottles of water and some iced tea, followed by two more glasses of water and some french fries later that night. My body seems to be recovering better after this run than the last, as today I feel pretty good! Hopefully that's a good sign. I also took it easy from a pace perspective, granted there were a few big hills, both up and down, that I had to deal with. I paced around 11 min/mi overall, but without a HRM I didn't want to go too fast.



After the run, I decided to purchase a HRM and went with the Garmin Forerunner 310 which includes the HRM and strap. Hopefully it's worth the $200. It should arrive around Sept. 5th. That should help my training some, but it'll suck to ditch the Nike watch and all my saved history. Oh well, I also signed up for the 2.4 mi Open Water Championship at Jordan Lake on Oct. 4th. Hopefully I'll get to bike with some folks after the swim too. I also may try to get a wetsuit before then, but that's not for certain yet. I need to start getting out on the bike more often. Maybe I'll get to take it out tomorrow for a bit, but I have to just do it and get in the habit of fitting rides in where I can.

So, here's what my training log looked like this week. I started keeping track from a time standpoint (not so much on yardage/miles). I do yoga before running because it has helped tremendously with tightness behind my knee that was keeping me from running.

 
  Swim Bike Run Strength  Yoga 
M 1h 5m 18m      
T     45m   20m
W 1h 10m        
T     45m   20m
F 1h 5m        
S     1h 39m   20m
S          
  3h 20m 18m 3h 9m 0m 60m

No comments:

Post a Comment