Thursday, October 22, 2015

Be Iron Fit - August 28th-29th, 2014

 Here are two more entries I made back in August of 2014.

8/28:

After talking with Andrea about the training plan she used to get ready for IM Canada, I bought the Be Iron Fit ebook on my nook. I only just started reading it, and there's already a lot of good information in it. I'm confident it will be well worth the $10.50 spent! Day shifts are a bit tiring, but they do allow for more flexibility in my swim training, but less for the bike and run, mainly because I really don't feel like doing anything after work except just lying around. I have a lot of evening shifts coming up, so I'll have to start figuring out how to fit it all in.

8/29:

Read a good bit of the Be Iron Fit book yesterday and today, and there is a lot of good information to learn from. One of the biggest things is that I'm not really eager to get a heart rate monitor for training. Unfortunately, that means I'll also need a new watch, since the Nike+ watch really only works for running (although they make a HRM  that is compatible with the watch). So now I'm trying to research which watch and HRM is the best for my training. I'm leaning back toward the Tom Tom watch that has the HRM, Cadence, Altimeter, and GPS. Basically anything and everything I could possibly need. Still not sure, but I'd like to figure that out sooner rather than later so I can apply the HR training to my half marathon training. I ran 45 min yesterday, and didn't look at my pace until the end. Ended up pacing a 9:08 min/mi for 4.92 miles. I also took my pulse after I finished, 180 bpm. According to the book, if my max is 191 bpm (220-age), then this would be at the low end of Zone 4. That's not necessarily ideal, but I couldn't keep track through the run, so maybe it wasn't terrible. 
45 min run map with elevation (above) and paces per mile (below).
 
I think being a swimmer and having such a low resting HR might make my max HR slightly different than the basic calculation, but I'd need to get that tested in a lab to figure it out for sure. I have a feeling that I've been training all wrong from a HR perspective, which is perhaps why I'm so eager to get one and try it out. I also swam this morning at Ridge Road. A little farther from home than Lake Johnson, but not too bad. I definitely have to start getting to bed earlier when I have morning practice. However, when I run after a day shift the day before and still need to eat after, it becomes more difficult. I really hope I can figure out a time management routine relatively quickly so that maybe I'm a little less tired during the day. I have a 10 mile run scheduled for tomorrow, we'll see how that goes.





No comments:

Post a Comment